Sunday, November 25, 2012

Burbon Barrel Porter

Brewing a burbon barrel porter today.  I haven't done any liquor infused beers before, so I am excited for the final product.  The plan is to brew the beer normally and after fermentation add burbon soaked oak (and a small amount of burbon) to the beer and let it age for a week or so to extract the oak flavor.  Yesterday started to soak 1.0 oz french oak in roughly 4oz of Makers Mark.  Ideally I would be using american oak, but french oak is what I have on hand.

1 oz of oak soaking in Makers Mark.

Grain Bill:
- 11.75 lb Pale Malt (2-Row)
- 1.5 lb German Munich Malt
- 1.0 lb Pale Chocolate Malt
- 0.5 lb C-120 Malt
- 0.25 lb Black Patent Malt

Hops:
- 0.75 oz Bravo (15.5%AA) - 60 min
- 1.0 oz Northern Brewer (8.5%AA) - 15 min
- 1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%AA) - Flameout

Mash Temperature: 154 F
O.G. 1.065
Estimated ABV: ~6%


I am using the WLP001 Cali Ale Yeast cake from the Dry-Hopped Brown Ale for this beer, so transferring and dryhopping the brown today to make room.  The DH Brown is one of my favorite beers, very excited to have it back on tap soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment