Monday, November 21, 2011

155 Gallons in 2011.

I brewed Jammie's Saison the other day.  It turned into an epic beer with a 9.5% alcohol potential.  We also put quite a few flowers/spices/seeds into the beer.

All of this went in the beer.  CRAZY!


The list: Crushed Coriander Seed, Orange zest, Part Wild Blossom Honey/Part David Darling Vintage 2010 Honey, aroma hops, Chamomile, Rosebuds, Juniper Berries. 

This is me trying something different and siphoning out of the boil kettle.  The idea is to whirlpool the wort after the boil in order to pull all of the sediment to the center of the kettle.

 
 Proof that my whirlpool actually did something.  The sediment is showing through in the center I ended up netting a half gallon less than I wanted but the proof is in the sediment.  The biggest problem I was having was the chamomile flowers clogging my racking cane.

My first time committing to the whirlpool/siphon method.

 The other day I was on my way home from La Quinta, and when passing through Temecula I decided to stop by Black Market Brewing to have a beer.  It's always tempting, but I'm usually deterred by Temecula traffic, but I figured Saturday was probably one of the better days of the week to venture into town.  I had a delicous Schwartzbier, and hung out for a little while.  While there I learned about a homebrew competition that they were having.  After looking at their website I not only found out they were indeed having a competition, but also hiring.  I have been wanting to enter a competition and took this opportunity to register for the AHA (American Homebrewers Association) as it is an AHA sanctioned competition it is required.  I feel like this is a little step forward, and I hope this experience positively influences my confidence.  The best of show gets to brew a commercial batch with Black Market and it will be submitted to the Great American Beer Festival Pro-Am.  I also sent them my resume.  I will plan a trip up there to try to talk to someone in person.   I have previously applied here and was in contact with the head brewer who subsequently blew me off.  Apparently he no longer works there, so I feel like I'm starting with a clean slate.  I plan on submitting my Northern German Altbier into the competition which I kegged on Saturday when I got home.  It is tasting pretty darn good and I think it is right up the ally of the Black Market guys who brew a lot of traditional German beers.  I really wish I had some of the roggenbier to submit.  I ordered ingredients yesterday for a couple batches of it.

I made a porter today.  I would submit it as well, but I don't know how it will turn out and I don't think I can get it ready in time.  I started early which was really nice and provided my with almost half the day afterward to do other things.  Jammie's friend from work who is also a home brewer stopped by for a beer, it was fun to talk to someone else about home brewing.  It would seem I need to branch out and maybe join a club and meet some other people in the hobby.

Here is an amazing video of wolfgang I found on Jammie's camera.  He ate the whole piece, but the video is only of the end of it.  



Sorry I couldn't figure out how to rotate it.  He loves watermelon and eats it just like we do.  Wolfgang is the man.  Okay one more picture, from our month of August van camping.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds awesome about the brewery in Temec! I'm stoked for you; please keep us updated, duder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the watermelon piece! Stop thinking and update mister! Please include photo of new glasses!!

    ReplyDelete