Thursday, November 10, 2011

Work!

So the good news is I have some work for this weekend.  I'll be working with my good friend Chris Petillo, who is the Front-of-house engineer for Donald Glover's band aka Childish Gambino.  Its just one date up in LA for now, but I am trying to be optimistic about doing a great job and them inviting me on tour.   The tour manager also manages a few other bands, so there is also potential there.  All boils down to doing a great job mixing monitors(on a digital console I've never used of course...) and doing a job I've had a few months off of.  Either way I'm very excited, worse case I will make a little money and get to spend a day hangin with chris p.  I will take lots of pictures and do a post event update.  It just might be the perfect place to get in on a gig that would be a lot of fun and potentially a good job for a little while...This is the second time they will be playing they new album, so I imagine there will be a full tour very soon supporting the release of the album.

I have also been doing some brewing stuff.  Planning on making a saison tomorrow.  Saisons are one of my favorite styles and I haven't made one yet.  I kegged the roggenbier (german rye beer) on 11/3, which was also a brew day.  The roggenbier is now carbonated and I am pretty happy with how the beer came out.  It is very smooth with a nice chocolate roasty finish.  The rye didn't show through as far as I can tell.  Next time I will use a larger percentage of rye.  The newest brew was supposed to be Janets Brown, which I have brewed before(was delicious), it wasn't until I recently revisited the recipe I realized it wasn't a correct reproduction at all.  So I rebuilt the recipe, but then it wasn't until I was mashing in that I realized that I completely botched this recipe too and didn't use the appropriate portion of chocolate malt.  In my bulk ingredient buying I have a surplus of a few specialty grains that go very slowly, one is pale chocolate, so I try to use it whenever possible.  Pale chocolate malt is less roasted than the chocolate malt the recipe called for.  I should have used more of it to compensate for the color and flavor difference but didn't, so the result is an amber ale instead of a brown ale.  I plan to brew Janets Brown for real in the next month to see if I can actually do it.

That's all I got for today.  I am planning on trying to make the blog a little more educational and include some specifics and step by step instructional things, not just for beer, but also bike/moped repair, random projects and cooking with beer.  Jammie and I made beer battered Jalapeno poppers with pepperjack cheese and bacon on the inside.  It was a lot of work, but a lot of fun, resulting in some good poppers.

P.S. I couldn't help but smile to myself that the only work I've been able to get since leaving CO is sound work.  This is only funny because it perfectly aligns with my ranting about no one willing to give you a job unless you have 5 years experience doing something and I happen to have about 5 - 6 years of experience mixing sound. ridiculous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment