Sunday, February 5, 2012

Warehouse Work and Beer Making

If you spend enough time emailing jobs on craigslist, something is bound to happen.  As a result I have found some temporary work at a freight forwarding warehouse.  Generally speaking it is hard work for the money, but like I said it is temporary and I get paid cash.  I also picked up a 1 day job as a corporate stagehand at the San Diego Hilton, so we'll see how that works out.

Brewing:
After taking a month and a half off from brewing I have gotten back into the swing of things.  Last week I bottled my second saison, and mostly did some cleanup/housekeeping stuff that I had been putting off for too long.  Since then I've made a Kolsch and yesterday started the base beer for my strawberry blonde.  I have been meaning to re-brew the SB since the last batch didn't go well; mostly do to a couple changes in my process that I will not be doing again.  It is the only batch of beer that I've ever thrown out, and was just not a good beer for various reasons.  While the first batch of the strawberry blonde is now gone, even the last couple bottles of it continued to taste amazing.

Another reason to rebrew the blonde is it is the one beer I've brewed so far that my parents actually like, and granted there might have been others that they might have liked but didn't get the opportunity to try, but I thought I should remake it so I can share some more beer with them.  Still working on establishing their taste for craft beer, so I try to make some mellower beers that they might like.  I hope the kolsch turns out and they like it as well.

Kolsch in front and the Blonde in the tub.

I am using a new yeast on the blonde, WLP090 - San Diego Super Yeast.  White Labs is one of the leading producers of beer yeast for homebrewers and craft brewers alike, and they are based in San Diego so the super yeast is a cool tribute to their home city.  It is supposed to be a really fast really clean fermenting yeast, so I am using it on the blonde as a yeast starter for a batch of a big double ipa, or maybe an imperial stout.  Something big is going to follow the blonde into that carboy, just not sure what.

I am working at the warehouse again tomorrow, and maybe for a few more days after that.  I hope to brew a couple more beers in the next week, a brown ale and then the big beer, we will see if I follow through with my intentions. Check back and I'll let you know. 


1 comment:

  1. I wish we lived closer so I could post a job on craigslist and you could come work for us! Also hard work for the money and also cash!
    I am hoping you are lumping me in with dad so he doesnt stand out as a Coors Light kind of guy. Seriously I have liked all the beer you have made but you are right. We don't get to try very many...again wish we lived closer so I could. I would put my rocker in your garage and be the official beer taster!
    You sound happy~yea you!

    ReplyDelete