Monday, February 27, 2012

Beer and Work


Jammie and I at the Pub.
I will start off by saying that I just spent an hour or so working on this post, but then when I went to publish it something went very wrong and didn't publish or save any of the information.  So if this post isn't very good, it was certainly better the first time around...

I have been working regularly at the shipping warehouse.  I also worked the corporate stagehand job last weekend, which turned out to be easy and very good paying work.  Other than work I have been making beer and working on getting ready to leave for a month and a half.

For the first time ever I have Jammie and my taxes done over a month and a half early.  Thank you to Rande for the tax program.  It is a huge weight off my shoulders having them out of the way, and I also owe a lot less than I was anticipating, which also relieved some stress.


Kegging something.

I can't recall which beer is being kegged in the above picture, but I believe it is the Kolsch.  I have brewed a few time consuming beers in a row, with the Kolsch first needing to be lagered, to the strawberry blonde which takes an extra week or so due to the berries, and now my most recent is and imperial stout which I will allow to age for a couple months before bottling.  These are going to be great beers, but they aren't helping my short term need for beer to drink...



Imperial Stout Mash.  Full to the brim...

The imperial stout is a 9-10% beer which took about 23lb of grain.  I think its the strongest all grain beer I've made.  As you can see in the photo above, that is as much as I can put in my mash tun.

Imperial Stout Runoff, looks more like dirty motor oil that beer.

5 lb of frozen strawberries, ready for beer.


Racking the Blonde onto the strawberries.

I also will say that these photos are a little old, as I started writing this post a week or so ago.  Since then I've had the opportunity to sample the SB post fruit, and it is pretty darn good.  Closely resembles the first rendition of the Strawberry Blonde, with an amazing aroma and flavor.  I think I'm going to change it up and bottle condition the blonde this time as well.  Bottle conditioning is the only way I will bottle any amount of anything, and I want to be able to save/share the strawberry.  Its been really nice to have bottles of my saisons to take places and give to people.

I had mention adding more actual technical information to the blog, and I am finally going to follow through.

Here is my recipe for the Strawberry Blonde:
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72%

O.G. 1.054
F.G. 1.012

Grain:
10 lb   Pale Malt (2-row)
1 lb     Honey Malt

Mash at 150 for 60 minutes

Hops:
1.0 oz Cascade Boil 60 minutes
1.0 oz Cascade Boil 15 minutes

Fermented in the mid 60's with WLP 090 San Diego Super Yeast.  As I said I used this yeast because I was using the blonde as a starter, seemingly it would be a good yeast even if that weren't the case, but I've previously used WLP001 Cali Ale with equally good results.

After fermentation is complete add 5lb of frozen strawberries to secondary.  I had to halve/quarter the larger berries to get them in the carboy.  I would suggest against making a puree though.

(I purchased my berries at vons for about $2.60/lb, but I saw frozen strawberries at Trader Joes the other day for $1 or $1.50/lb.)

I let the beer sit on the berries for 7-10 days.  I would suggest starting to sample it around 5 days and checking it every other day or so to determine the point where the strength of the strawberry flavor is to your liking.


Today I am brewing my 3rd Saison.  I have changed one or more variables from one saison to the next.  The first one had a lot of spices and flowers added to it, while the second was a pretty simple grain bill combined with a slightly different yeast and no spices.  The 3rd one will hopefully highlight the yeast flavor as the grain is very simple, and no spices added, but a completely different French Saison yeast and a little hoppier.


Saison #3:
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72%

O.G. 1.054
F.G.  1.005 estimated

Grain:
9.25 lb  German Pilsner Malt
1.25 lb  White Wheat Malt
0.75 lb  Amber Malt

Mash at 148 for 90 minutes

Hops:
1.25 oz Hallertauer 60 minutes
1.50 oz Hallertauer 10 minutes
1.50 oz Hallertauer  0 minutes

 Wyeast 3711 French Saison
Since this is my first time using this yeast, I will probably start it off it the lower to mid 70's based on the Wyeast site and some reading about what other people have been doing with it.  I've heard this yeast can really dry a beer out so I'm excited to see how it performs.
Wyeast suggested temperature range: 65-77°F (18-25°C)

I'll let you know how it turns out.  Check back soon.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like some wonderful beers! Yum! I have lost my post more times than I care to type here. If you sign in and then put your arrow over the square that says post list(next to the orange pencil) and then click it. I am able to find my lost blogs there every time. Now you know I am loving that I am even a wee bit smart enough to share some computer knowledge with you! Rande's mom! Of course if this doesnt work for you....nevermind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you are referring to the 'draft' location. I am aware of the saved drafts list, unfortunately this time it did not save any of the info to a draft either. I suppose i had the page open too long before updating and something timed out. I should have lots of beer to share with you guys very soon:)

    ReplyDelete